An Absent Mother Apologises

Comments

1. Rachael says

Oh Karen :(. What’s so sad is how many of us go through this. My big boy just turned 7 and gosh I still feel awful that he was apart from me at all after his birth :(. Oh so much anger actually. Lots of love xx

2. says

Oh Karen.
    I understand that guilt, that feeling of being absent.
    With much love, to you on your birthing day.
    He will love you all the more for your honesty.
    He loves you because you are you.
    tiff recently posted..The excavator driverMy Profile

3. Shelly says

Happy birthday Riley! I look forward to giving you your birthday present in person when I see you next week! Love Shelly and Matt xoxoxo

4. says

You’ve caused tears in my eyes. This is such an incredibly powerful story. Reading this would not only help those experiencing the same challenges, but allows mums like me to understand a little of what some women experience. A story with a wonderfully, happy ending though. Happy Birthday Riley.
    Thank you so much for sharing. :)
    In turn, I’ll be sharing this on Facebook and Twitter. I think there’s a lot of women out there who would gain from it.
    Kellie @threelilprincesses.com recently posted..FEATURE- Activities for preschoolersMy Profile

5. The Brave says

As new Mums we never feel adequate enough – it’s a baptism of fire! Thankful a newborn can not remember those hideous first days as we clumsily find out feet, forever wondering if we have done irrepairable damage….

6. says

Dear Karen, I clicked on your link from Kellie’s facebook page and tears ran through my eyes. I have suffered Postpartum Depression and I feel so guilty for it as well. Thankfully I have learned that you are never alone in this world. Thank you for sharing your story.

Happy Birthday Riley. xx

7. D.Paul says

Karen, I’ve been reading and re-reading this post. Each time I read it, it still makes me ache inside, even though I’ll never know the distinct joy and pain that is motherhood, what with my having that Y-chromosome. Well-written and thought provoking, with some crisp, resonating images; though I wish you weren’t so hard on yourself. It seems, though, that comes with being a good mother.

8. says

Oh, that was very sad and very touching. We all go through that stage, and I think it’s part of our birthing process. But we need to handle it very well with the help of our families, friends, and sometimes counselors. Don’t worry, you’re a great mom and I’m sure Riley loves you for that. Happy birthday to your boy.:-)

9. says

I’ve only just found this now, but am so glad I did. On the eve of my son’s 3rd birthday it gives me comfort that I wasn’t the only one feeling the same was as you were, and that with time you truly do grow and learn from it all.

Poignant and perfectly written – thanks so much for sharing this. Its helped more than you can know.

Trackbacks