A taste of my (possibly vintage by now) YA fiction collection

'Point' Scholastic teen horrors

I started collecting these series of books back in Grade 5. I remember ordering them off the cheap Scholastic book guides/magazines that were given out by my primary school library. Do you remember those? You tore off the back flap and wrote in those tiny little columns what books you wanted to order? Remember?

I kept these books for my future children – can you believe that? Yes, I really really did. Does that make me a very ghoulish mother? Or a very cool one? {Don’t answer!}

Out of these the best were (IMO): April Fools and Teachers Pet (both by Ritchie Tankersley Cusick). Thirteen was good, too. Missing Since Monday was the first one I ever read (I think).

I’d given them up by about Grade 7 or 8.

Pin It

Karen Andrews is the creator of Karen Andrews. This is one of the most established and well-respected parenting blogs in the country and is a two-time finalist in the Best Australian Blogs competition. She is also an author, award-winning writer, poet, editor and publisher at Miscellaneous Press. Is an exercise junkie (when she finds the time).

Comments

1. says

I have a whole bunch of these packed away somewhere at my Mom’s house from when I was younger. My daughter is the right age to be reading these but, apparently she would rather read the Twilight series lol. She does get sent home with the Scholastic Magazines but, they give such a short deadline (usually 2 – 3 days) to get all the money turned in that we usually pass and go hunting at the used book store instead 😉

2. says

Oh, yes I remember them!
    I saved my books from them, too, for my future kidlets – who have all read them and enjoyed them so yours probably will, too! 😉

3. says

Point horror! I had buckets of them. I liked their little tag lines on the front – I espcecially remember The Lifeguard: “Don’t call for help. He might just kill you.”

4. Shelly says

Of those Missing since Monday and final exam were my favourites. You don’t have it photographed but Beach Party was also a good one.
    And my Christopher Pike books…ah, fond memories of year 7…

5. says

Oh I remember those. Of course, I was getting them in the 70s, so I had things like “The Witch of Blackbird Pond” and “Wrinkle in Time” (yes, that was a scholastic book!). And yes, I saved them for my (WAY future) kids. They’re in the Queen’s room on the top shelf, waiting for her.

6. says

OMG.. I think I NEED to find some of these again, I can barely remember reading the “horror” ones, but I just know I did…. thanks for the reminder!

(Unfortunately I do remember, all too fondly, reading TBC lol)

7. says

I used to read them as well! Teacher’s Pet and April Fools Day are definitely familiar… I used to scare myself silly. Then I graduated to Stephen King and Dean Koontz – even scarier!

8. says

My personal favourites were Prom and Beach House. Unfortunately they really don’t hold up on a re-read. I even blogged comments as I was experiencing Beach House 17ish years after originally reading it…it was depressing.

Scholastic Book Club…I am actually in charge of it as my school and still order regularly. I found Lisa Ann Sandell’s Song of the Sparrow there a few months back and it’s fantastic … and only $6! Score. It still goes in cycles, one good issue, one bad. Interesting how things don’t change!