13 signs that someone you know may have an eating disorder

Comments

1. I have had eating disorders (anorexia, bulimia and BED) for over 20 years, so I recognized all 13… Good for you to do this.
    My TT is about collections I have.

2. I have never known of anyone having a n eating disorder, other than over-eating. But, I’ve read lots of these before. Hopefully, you no longer have the disorder.

Check out my TT

3. A very important list indeed, i hope lots read this and if it helps one person that would be excellent.

4. 14) they have to use the bathroom immediately after every meal.

15) they turn the water on for long amounts of time during bathroom trips so as to not let anyone hear their gag and barf noises.

16) they can give tips on what tastes the worst and what tastes the best when it’s coming back up.

17) people always tell them that they look sick or pale.

My kid sister struggles with Bulimia. Thanks for the list!

Jamie

5. As a teen I was both Bulimic and Anorexic. This is a very important TT Karen.

6. Wow…very informative! Mahalo!

I’ve got mine up a day early. Even though it’s still Wednesday on Maui, I’m eager to be closer to the top and not the runt of the litter anymore! :-)

7. That’s a fantastic list about a serious disease…I hope that this helps a few people.

8. Thomma Lyn says:

A good post about an important topic. There are so many people out there who suffer from these disorders. Your list is both helpful and compassionately-written.

Happy TT!

9. FRIDAY'S CHILD says:

That was a very interesting post. Thanks for sharing them. I’ll take note of it.
    My T13 is up too.

10. This is a very interesting and informative list. Thank you for sharing.

11. Very good information. I am glad you shared it. I hope it will be helpful to those who are concerned about a friend or loved one.
    My T13 is up!

12. Rashenbo says:

I haven’t known anyone with an eating disorder either. It sounds like you’ve been through the fires. These are some excellent tips and I appreciate you sharing them.

Thanks!

13. thanks so much for your post this week. i think it’s really important to share things like this so others can also move forward and heal.

14. Journeywoman says:

Thanks for this. As a close friend to one who struggled I unfortunately have three to add.

14) Whenever you meet them for a meal, they always say “I ate already, you have something.”

15) Wears sweatshirts or long sleeved t-shirts on the hottest days of the year.

16) Won’t see you for months if you’re someone who calls them on it.

I hope you’re doing better.

15. Babystepper says:

My friend from college fit quite a few of these. We knew she was having trouble at the time. It was painfully obvious just by looking at her.

She would obsess about food. She constantly wanted to cook food for other people, and would get upset that I wasn’t interested.

16. Samantha Lucas says:

I’ve had an eating disorder as long as I can remember, only instead of purging I just won’t eat for sometimes three days. It’s managed for the most part now, but sometimes it just jumps up out of the blue. I liken it to falling off the wagon.

No one in my life cared enough to take notice, but I hope people see this. It’s very important information. Thank you for sharing.

17. scribbit says:

I had no idea on some of these. What a hard life to lead.

18. I had anorexia back in the Seventies when I was in my teens before the word was even in widespread use and I had no idea what was going on (neither did my parents or my doctor). I paid the price later. I really appreciate your setting up this note. If you notice these signs is it a good idea to talk to the person about it? Did anyone ever talk to you? I am really wondering what the best thing to do would be.

19. Thank you for sharing this list.

A relative of mine struggled with bulimia for many years. Her journey back was not an easy one.

20. Great list! I had a good friend that was bulemic. She had most of those.

Thanks for passing the word on to educate people!

Happy TT!

21. Tilly Greene says:

I’m sure that was a difficult list to write because it was hard to read.

22. wow, useful list! u are one brave person to share this…thanks for the info! this will surely save a life!

23. Tis me.... says:

This is a wonderful pos. I appreciate your willingness to share your skeletons so that awareness may be brought to those that have not yet been able to turn their lives around. I’ll be linking this on my blog.

24. Very informative.

Good idea to share them, you never know who it might help

25. Wow. Good list.

Another one…they step on the scale, obsessively (ie several times a day).

Happy TT.

26. Ally Bean says:

Good info here. This list should be required reading for everybody. I’ve known people who have struggled with this disease all their life, and I didn’t know some of your points. Namely, 1, 2 & 11. Thx for posting it.

27. Really amazing informative TT. I’m seriously worried about a friend of mine since she’s been displaying lots of these symptoms and I’ve tried talking to her about it but to no luck… Hope this helps some more :)

28. Eating disorders are HARD to deal with and, apparently, hard to overcome. I’ve been dealing with one for 3 years, but because it’s not your typical “body image” problem, no one knows exactly how to handle it, including myself.

Great TT–hopefully it will help someone!

29. Wow, what a powerful TT. Thank you so much for this list.

30. Thank you for being willing to share this important information–and thanks to the other commenters who added from their own experinces. I just found out this week that a good friend has struggled with bulemia for years.

31. Róisín Rua says:

I’ve been struggling with anorexia, bulimia, and orthorexia for years now, and I’m thrilled to see you sharing this info with the reading public. I also sadly have to agree with every one of your points. Too many sufferers glamourize their EDs or simply don’t mention them, and that certainly doesn’t help anyone, least of all themselves. Thanks so much for this brilliant Thursday 13.

32. Jean-Luc Picard says:

MM,you’re listed as a Favourite in my Technorati Faves Train! Be sure to catxh it. See below Part 3.

33. Danielle says:

You do realize how great you are by sharing your experience to educate others.

Great way to utilize the forum of TT.

Be well and enjoy the day

34. Nancy J. Bond says:

How brave and wonderful of you to share your experience — you never know how many people you may have saved from the same fate. A great TT!

35. Thanks for being so honest with this!

Amys Random Thoughts is having a blogging scavenger hunt starting May 1st. Details and prizes were announced today! Hope you will come and have fun with us!

36. Denise Patrick says:

Good list. Thankfully, I don’t know anyone like that, but now I will think about this when I meet someone who might exhibit some of this behavior. Thanks for the education.

37. Such an important list…especially since eating disorders seem to be striking younger and younger.

38. Hi miscmum! Wonderful that you’ve posted this. The more help out there in the more places… the better. I have a thinspiration petition page over at fracas, and collect names both at my blog as well as on a global petition (link to that on the blog page)

There are so many people suffering, and it needn’t be. I was blind to it until my daughter was hospitalized (for something else) and met several girls there in various stages of anorexia and bulimia. It’s so sad.. we need to care.

Thinspiration Petition at fracas

39. I am glad that I found your blog and applaud you for this list.
    There can never be enough talk/discussion/learning about eating disorders…the truth sets us free.

40. Anonymous says:

14. Measures food with measuring cup or food scale all the time.

15. ALWAYS reads nutrition label before eating packaged food and sometimes decides not to eat based on what the label says.

16. Records everything eaten in a notebook or on a journal online such as dailyplate.com.

17. Sticks to a very restrictive diet such as only raw food, only vegan food, only 1 apple for breakfast every day, etc. This is not to say that people who are vegans automatically have an eating disorder, but often people with eating disorders will become vegan so that it is more difficult to find things to eat.

18. Claims to “not like” many popular foods that are highly caloric. I always say I don’t like fried foods or sweet food, when really I just don’t like the calories.

19. Spends extreme amounts of time working out even if very tired or sore.

There are so many more secrets we have and tricks we do to hide the ED.

I am bulimic. Sometimes I try to recover, sometimes its just easier to give in.

41. I am Bulimic, sometimes I’ll be ok but then something triggers it and it will start all over again. Thia has been going on for about 4 years now. Does it ever go away? or do some people control it better than others?

42. I have just come to the conclusion the other day that I do have a eating disorder. I have all the signs and i have for years now but i have never told anyone. When ever I go any where my family always tells me im to skinny and i need to gain more weight but I keep telling them I need to lose more.

Trackbacks

1. [...] in retrospect. In the early days, The ‘Dear Me’ Project taught me the power of memes, 13 signs that someone you know may have a eating disorder showed me the value of list [...]